Wednesday 22 January 2020

How I smart-homed my tiny studio apartment

How I smart-homed my tiny studio apartmentI work in New York. I live on my own. Ergo, I live in a tiny apartment. I also rent my studio, meaning I can't make major changes to my place. This, to a tech reporter covering the rise of the smart home, is like being a diabetic kid in a candy store. I looked on longingly as people tested out smart thermostats, installed connected ceiling fans and Bluetooth door locks. Lucky homeowners with connected locks could open their doors by talking to their digital assistants, like wizards saying, "Abracadabra" or even better, "Alohomora". I was so jealous. But it wasn't long before gadgets arrived that let me get my apartment connected without extensive installation. If you want to give your home a high-tech makeover but have to deal with the realities of rental life, don't worry. I've crawled on the path to connected-apartment utopia so you can run. The first thing to do is pick an assistant. I started out with Siri on my iPhone back when I shared an apartment with a roommate. Apple was much slower to the smart home game than Amazon and Google. So, when it came time to smarten up my home, I knew I had to find a better option, preferably one that existed as a smart speaker. I've had the opportunity to test both the Amazon Echo and Google Home, and after some time, Alexa won me over and became the head of my household.




https://ift.tt/2TNsAYR from Yahoo Tech https://ift.tt/2TOAIs8
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment